Saturday, March 9, 2013

Blessing

What a HUGE blessing today was. I realized that I have been a crappy mom. Not because I tell my 2 year old that there is no Santa just to wake him up (Worst Parents Award), but I have found that I would run to the computer, IPad, or phone the second there was a calm in the chaos. Blues Clues are one- check the email. Boys eating dinner quietly-check facebook. Boys playing alone nicely outside- check Twitter. The issue? I am missing STUFF- I am missing LIFE! Even when I am going through the nightly routine I was finding myself trying to get it DONE so I can get back on the computer and "relax'. But what was I missing? Bath time, playtime, dinner, reading, and prayers. I was there but somehow not there in the last year.


So today I tried something crazy... No electronics when I am with the boys. If they are awake there is no need for electronics. Don't get me wring there was Blues Clues and Donald Duck today after school, but I watched with them.

It was THE BEST DAY I have had with them. I know this is a novel concept but when you are PRESENT in life you are more JOYFUL! I have been half present and therefor half joyful. I am going to blink and the boys are going to be in middle school- its only for a minute that they still want to snuggle and kiss and think I am funny (oh gosh I hope they always think I am funny).


Without phones its quiet- my head is quiet (which is a miracle in and of itself).. not the boys. But in just one day I took the time to learn things about them. Not what they do... but who they ARE!




 

1 comment:

Random Thoughts by Jewels said...

I love this! I try to do the same thing but sometimes I slip and let myself get distracted. It really does make a HUGE difference in my attitude and theirs. Awesome post!