Monday, April 4, 2011

Bradycardias- a lesson in premature babies

This is what I stare at each day..


Each morning I come in to see what has happened the day before. This lovely machine tracks E's heartheart, respatory rate and blood pressure. He keeps tracks of times when his heartrate gets too low (bradycardia) and tracks it. Today we came to the hospital to see that he's had 4 over night. For that age of gestation it's to be expected. However, with that sweet baby out of the womb its a tad stressful to parents (well at least to me) to see that your childs heartheart is dipping down that often. I have to keep reminding myself that he should still be IN me. The positive side is that even though he is having these Bradys he is fixing them on his own without nurse/doctor intervention. The ones this morning were a little too low for nurse comfort however, so they moved his room closer to the nurses desk. BUMMER for me though since I had practically moved in and so had to move all my stuff too (I know selfish- but honestly its a pain in the rear!).

In addition to the Bradys today my blood pressure slowed down tremendously due to my blood pressure meds- so I only spent an hour with the little man and didn't hold him at all. Luckily he has great nurses who have touch time with him. I just called up to the hospital and found out he has taken a bottle at EVERY FEEDING!! AMAZING!! So tomorrow my goal is to learn to feed this little guy more appropriatly.. when I try to give him the bottle he only takes a little bit. Luckily- this is TEAM WORK!!

No comments: