Tuesday, December 3, 2013

A prayer I didn't ask for

Have you ever prayed to see the world through God's eyes? It's a prayer that people say a lot and there are Christian songs all about it.

Well I DIDN'T say this prayer. I had every intention of bringing my OWN pain to the table. My heart was heavy for myself, my pain, and my anxiety.

But, as soon as I sat down to pray, God quickly reminded me of the sermon I had heard on Sunday. Our pastor spoke about what a miracle it was that Jesus wept for us. That GOD'S SON sat down and wept for our pain. And then... well I can only explain it as a RUSH of pain that came over me. God brought to my mind people I have long forgot about, new friends who had recently shared their pain, , enemies and people I had met mearly once on mission projects. I felt it. I felt the loss of a child, the loss of a sister, divorce, addiction, cancer- it was compassion. And then it hit me- I am weeping over a handful of people and Jesus felt ALL of our pain.

I often assume that God can't handle my pain. As of my pain is either too petty and silly, or too much and intense. But the truth is Jesus wept for me. God sits with us in our pain and asks us to sit with others in their pain as well as their joy. He holds us with love and compassion.

If given the chance I would NOT pray that prayer anytime soon. But it was the most painfully beautiful gift I have ever recieved and has changed my heart for ever.