Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Resolution my butt... literally.

Alright ladies and gents... here it is...
(yes I put a picture of my child on here instead of myself- shoot me!)
I have gained 15 pounds this year. And for a 5'3 girl- that's a lot.

I have a love hate relationship with food. And with my body for that matter.

I understand the magic of it. The weird complexities that God put in there to make it all work just right. It really is amazing. I know the woman's body is a miracle in and of itself to bare a child and then feed it. I look at my scars and my stretchmarks and try to remember where they came from... I should likely tattoo the faces of the boys on there so I can remember and no be grossed out. But that would just be totally weird.

I understand healthy eating too. I may not do it, but I know it. I have been to a nutritionist for enough years to know all that my body needs. I know how to listen to my body... and unfortunately I know how NOT to.

I look at other moms of small children who come to MDO dropping off their children and think "holy geez. not only are her children put together this morning, but she looks great and put together. Did I even brush my hair this morning?" To be honest- I don't get it. Somehow I have lost the energy and some days the will power to take time for myself- to diet, to exercise, to put on makeup. It's not a pity party ... I just got into the mindset that my life needed to be my children. And with the combination of exhaustion and survival the choice of cooking healthy vs Chipotle is an easy one. The choice of making myself look cute vs just getting out of the door in time seems an easy one too.

Young mothers can so easily lose themselves. We can get so caught up in life, in our kids, in our jobs, in taking care of the laundry- AGAIN!!, that self care goes by the wayside. Quiet time becomes a HUGE DEAL if it gets done even once or twice a week. A workout? Does that include chasing the children around the house? And the good moms have a home cooked dinner on the table each night... but Lord knows that doesn't happen every night at the Head house.

So my goal for 2014-to be DELIBERATE!! I want to make sure that I take care of myself. That a couple days a week I doesn't look like I rolled out of bed. I am going to make sure that I do quiet time EVERY DAY- because  I know if I am not right with the Lord I am not right when anyone! I am gong to slowly start changing and adding to my self care regime so that I am proud of my body by the time swimming suit season starts... NO that does not mean I expect to be a size 2, but I need to change my views on my body.. and possible one less bad of peanut butter M&Ms a month. =) I am going to be deliberate about taking care of mommy because if everyone knows..

if mama aint happy aint NOBODY happy!



1 comment:

Random Thoughts by Jewels said...

I love how honest you are in this. I am awful about watching what I eat and working out but I have noticed that when I get up earlier and fix my hair or put on makeup I feel way better about myself. Shallow maybe but it's true. I desperately need to work on quiet time as well and I thank you for reminding me of that.